Our Most Popular Posts

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Season 5, Episode 5 The Disir Merlin Script

KILGHARRAH
In a land of myth and a time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young man. His name: Merlin.

EERIE VOICES
Heo cwaeth. Se wyrdes last bith ansiene. Nu syndon his folma blodige ond tha ne maeg he feormian. His endetime is on ofost. Heo cwaeth. Se wyrdes last bith ansiene. Nu syndon his folma blodige. His endetime is on ofost.</p>
Niede
Osgar. You know what must be done?

OSGAR: I do.

Niede: Stand. Take it. The fate of Arthur Pendragon is in your hands now. See that you honour it.
___________________________________________________________________________

OPENING CREDITS

TRAINING GROUND
 
ARTHUR: You're getting good, Mordred, very good.
 
MORDRED: My lord.
 
ARTHUR: I may have to start trying soon.
 
MERLIN: My lord?
 
[HE CLAPS]
 
ARTHUR: And...always remember...

_______________________________________________________________________

ARTHUR’S CHAMBERS
 
ARTHUR: Mordred used a contre quarte to my high-line attack. It was skilfully done. Really?
You do understand what a contre quarte is?
 
MERLIN
At a guess, a type of parry, beginning in the quarte position, ending with a twist of the wrist.
 
ARTHUR
You have been paying attention. And what do you think of young Mordred?
 
MERLIN
He's, er, making progress.
 
ARTHUR
He has all the makings of a fine knight, don't you think?
 
MERLIN
There are many fine knights in Camelot.
 
ARTHUR
Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, he'll be one of the finest, and I'm determined he'll receive nothing but encouragement from me.
__________________________________________________________________________________
GAIUS’ CHAMBERS
 
GAIUS
You think he's not ready?
 
MERLIN
It's not that. He's an excellent swordsman.
 
GAIUS
You think he's too young? Too headstrong?
 
MERLIN
He's always been thoughtful and modest.
 
GAIUS
The boy sounds perfect, Merlin.
 
MERLIN
I can't ignore what I saw. Gaius, Mordred is destined to play a part in Arthur's death.
 
GAIUS
Perhaps, perhaps not. The future has many paths. That is only one. Have you ever seen him show anything but kindness towards Arthur?
 
MERLIN
No, but...
 
GAIUS
If Mordred wished Arthur ill, he has had ample opportunity to do so. He's a likeable boy, Merlin.
 
MERLIN
I know. I like him myself, but I can't ignore what I saw.
 
GAIUS
Seeing is not the same as knowing. And we must know - for certain -
before we act.

___________________________________________________________________________

COUNCIL CHAMBERS
 
ARTHUR
What news from the East, Sir Leon?
 
LEON
Serious news, I'm afraid, sire. As you know, a few days ago, our garrison in the Forest of Brechfa intercepted the man who goes by the name of Osgar.
 
ARTHUR
The sorcerer?
 
LEON
The same. They were trying to apprehend him when he used his powers to escape. I am sorry to report... Sir Ranulf was mortally wounded.
 
ARTHUR
Sir Ranulf? He was a loyal and true knight. Place all the men in the eastern territories on high alert.
 
LEON
Yes, sire.
 
ARTHUR
I personally shall lead a patrol to bring this Osgar to justice.
 
GWEN
Is it necessary for you to go in person?
 
ARTHUR
A king must lead, or what is the point of him?
 
GWEN
You lead the men when you saved Mithian's father - and I nearly lost you.
 
ARTHUR
Sir Ranulf's death cannot go unpunished.
 
GWEN
You have many fine men to avenge him.
 
ARTHUR
He wasn't just a knight, Guinevere, he was a friend. We knew each other as boys. I must go. Have no fear. I will be perfectly safe. As you say, I have many fine knights.
 
KNOCK AT DOOR
 
ARTHUR
Yes?
 
MORDRED
You wished to see me, sire? Ah, Mordred, come in, come in.
 
ARTHUR
The time has come for you to accompany your king.
 
MORDRED
My lord?
 
ARTHUR
I want you to join me on a patrol to the Black Mountains.
 
MORDRED
Me? To Brechfa?
 
ARTHUR
Congratulations.
 
MORDRED
This is a great honour. I...
 
ARTHUR
You have earned your place. Be ready to ride at dawn.
 
MORDRED
I shall be, my lord. You won't regret this. I promise.
 
ARTHUR
He has all the makings of an excellent knight.
 
GWEN
I do believe you've grown fond of him.
 
ARTHUR
One of those things I do.
___________________________________________________________________________
MAIN SQUARE
 
LEON
You sure you haven't forgotten anything, Mordred?
 
MORDRED
Do you think so?
 
PERCIVAL
Isn't he missing a dagger?
 
ELYAN
I can't see a water bottle.
 
PERCIVAL
His boot. He's missing a boot, I think.
 
KNIGHTS LAUGH
 
MERLIN
Are you sure this is a good idea?
 
ARTHUR
He's a good fighter, a brave knight.
 
MERLIN
He's very young.
 
ARTHUR
Where would any of us be, Merlin, if no-one had given us a chance? Gentlemen!
 
GWEN
Merlin? You will take care of him?
 
MERLIN
He doesn't always make it easy.
 
GWEN
I know.
 
ARTHUR
Merlin!

LEON
It is a tradition.
 
ELYAN
Goes back years.
 
PERCIVAL
We all had to do it on our first patrol.
 
ARTHUR
Mordred, what on earth are you doing?
 
MORDRED
Melding the saddle, my lord.
 
GWAINE
As in the ancient tradition... of melding.
 
ARTHUR
Of course. I trust your breeches are on inside out?
 
MORDRED
My lord?
 
THEY LAUGH
HORSE NEIGHS
 
GWAINE
It's Osgar. He's close.
 
PERCIVAL
He's getting careless.
 
MORDRED
Sire?
 
GWAINE
Who are you? What's your purpose?
 
OSGAR
I was beginning to fear you had taken the wrong path.
 
GWAINE
Who are you?
 
OSGAR
My name is Osgar. And I have an important message for your king. Take me to him.
 
ELYAN
It'll be our pleasure.
 
OSGAR
Do you not know who I am?
 
GWAINE
You are a sorcerer, a heretic and a murderer.
 
OSGAR
No. Just a man who values his freedom. Take me to your king. Would you challenge me?!
Forth fleoge!
 
TWIG CRACKS
 
ARTHUR
Stop!
 
OSGAR
Sire... My name is Osgar.
 
ARTHUR
I know who you are.
 
OSGAR
I am sent from the sacred Disir to pass judgement on Arthur Pendragon, the Once and Future King.
 
MORDRED
What right have you to pass judgement?
 
OSGAR
No man is above the Disir - however royal. It is my duty to pass their judgement on to you, dread King. My sacred duty. Your hand...Arthur Pendragon. It is done.
 
ARTHUR
What is the meaning of this?
 
OSGAR
It is both judgement and fate. You have waged war on the people of the Old Religion. Now the ancient gods answer you. The Disir have spoken. The circle of fate begins to close. For even as Camelot flowers, the seeds of her destruction are being sown.
 
ARTHUR
What nonsense is this?
 
OSGAR
It is not too late, Arthur. Not too late to find the true path. Redeem yourself. No further chance shall be given.

TWIG CRACKS
 
MORDRED
What would the king say? Sorcerers are not permitted marked graves. It's all right, Merlin. I'd have done the same. He was one of us, after all.
 
MERLIN
It won't always be like this. One day we will live in freedom again.
 
MORDRED
You really believe that?
 
MERLIN
I do.
 
MORDRED
Until then, we go unmarked - in death as in life.
 
MERLIN
The swelling should go down by the morning.
 
GWAINE
Let's hope so.
 
ARTHUR
How is he?
 
MERLIN
I've applied poultices. They'll make a full recovery.
 
MORDRED
You are a skilled physician, Merlin.
 
MERLIN
I've watched Gaius, that's all.
 
ARTHUR
He also makes a very fine breakfast, as you'll soon discover, eh, Merlin? Now I've offended him. Come, Merlin, warm yourself, have a drink. To young Mordred -
and his first successful mission.
 
MORDRED
It was nothing.
 
ARTHUR
It was timely and vigilant. Merlin!
 
MERLIN
Congratulations.
 
ARTHUR
If he died and was granted eternal happiness, I do believe he'd find reason to be miserable. Come,
Merlin, we've triumphed.
 
MERLIN
Osgar could have easily killed you.
 
ARTHUR
But he didn't, did he?
 
MERLIN
He was a sorcerer, it was quite within his power.
 
ARTHUR
He was deranged.
 
MERLIN
And the runemark?
 
ARTHUR
A trinket - nothing more. Here. I'll have the jeweller mount it as a memento of our success.
Are you feeling all right, Merlin?
 
MERLIN
Quite, my lord.
 
ARTHUR
Only, more and more I find your face resembles the back end of a cat. See, you don't even laugh at my jokes any more. Seriously... I haven't seen you smile these past three days.
 
MERLIN
I'm not sure there is a great deal to smile about.
 
HE SIGHS
___________________________________________________________________________

GAIUS’ CHAMBERS
 
GAIUS
Sire, thank you for coming. Please.
 
ARTHUR
Tell me Merlin's got you believing his nonsense too, Gaius.
 
GAIUS
This is a runemark, my lord.
 
ARTHUR
So everyone keeps telling me.
 
GAIUS
In times past, this mark aroused great fear. It was given to those found wanting by the court of the Disir.
 
MERLIN
The Disir?
 
GAIUS
The highest court of the Old Religion. Three women were chosen at birth to be trained as seers and soothsayers. Their only task was to interpret the word of the Triple Goddess. When they sat in judgement, their word was final.
 
ARTHUR
This worn-out superstition has no relevance now. I don't see how what bearing it has on me or Camelot.
 
GAIUS
Because, sire, the Disir saw fit to give you this. This is the judgement of the gods against you.
 
ARTHUR
This is...nonsense, surely?
 
GAIUS
The Old Religion held that the runemark not only contained a man's guilt but the path that the gods had chosen for him. That is why it is both a judgement and fate.
 
ARTHUR
I make my own path.
 
GAIUS
Do you? It is said that only the gods can alter a man's fate... And even then, only when he repents and appeases them.
 
ARTHUR
You don't believe any of this? Gaius?
 
GAIUS
I am an old man, sire. Old enough to be wary of dismissing other people's beliefs.
________________________________________________________________________________
ARTHUR’S CHAMBERS
 
ARTHUR
Have I not made Camelot a fairer and more just kingdom?
 
MERLIN
You have, my lord.
 
ARTHUR
Have I not rid it of the cruelties and injustices of the past?
 
MERLIN
You have.
 
ARTHUR
I am not my father.
 
MERLIN
No.
 
ARTHUR
Then why do they judge me so?
 
MERLIN
I'm not sure I'm the person to ask.
 
ARTHUR
I am asking you...Merlin. Man to man.
 
MERLIN
Well, perhaps they feel you are worthy enough to be judged.
 
ARTHUR
What do you mean by that?
 
MERLIN
Judgement is wasted on a...man who won't listen.
 
ARTHUR
You think I should take them seriously?
 
MERLIN
I think you already have. If there's nothing else...?
 
ARTHUR
No. Thank you.


MERLIN
O drakon!
E male so ftengometta tesd' hup' anankes!
 
KILGHARRAH
You were right to summon me, Merlin. The Disir are the mouthpiece of the Triple Goddess. It is she who has decreed Arthur's fate.
 
MERLIN
What is it to be?
 
KIILGHARRAH
The runemark predicts Arthur's death.
 
MERLIN
When? When will Arthur die?
 
KILGHARRAH
The future is never clear, Merlin. You should know that by now. There are many paths. Not all lead to Camelot's ruin.
 
MERLIN
Do they lead to Mordred?
 
KILGHARRAH
The Druid boy? His fate and Arthur's are bound together like ivy round a tree.
 
MERLIN
I fear he is dangerous.
 
KILGHARRAH
There is good cause to doubt him.
 
MERLIN
Is there nothing I can do?
 
KILGHARRAH
Sometimes...to save the tree, the ivy must be cut. You had a chance to kill the Druid boy once before. If you have another... you MUST not fail.
____________________________________________________________________________________
ARTHUR’S CHAMBERS
 
GWEN
Arthur? I thought you might be hungry. You ate nothing at supper.
 
ARTHUR
Thank you. That was kind.
 
GWEN
He was a deranged, desperate man. You said so yourself.
 
ARTHUR
Merlin was right - he could have killed me but instead he thought it was more important to give me this, and he gave his life in doing so.
 
GWEN
Who can fathom the mind of a fanatic?
 
ARTHUR
That wasn't what was in his eyes, Guinevere. There was no hatred there. It was something else - pity almost. Why would a sorcerer pity a king?
 
GWEN
Come, eat something.
 
ARTHUR
What if the Disir are right? What if I have transgressed in some way? What if I have put Camelot in danger?
 
GWEN
Arthur, you are a good and just king.
 
ARTHUR
The Disir don't seem to think so.
 
GWEN
That is because they don't know you like I do. If they did, they would feel nothing but love.
__________________________________________________________________________________
GAIUS’ CHAMBERS
 
HAMMERING AT DOOR
 
MERLIN
Is it late? Have I overslept?
 
GAIUS
It is not yet dawn.
 
HAMMERING AT DOOR
 
GAIUS
My lord, I...
 
ARTHUR
Where can I find the Disir?
 
GAIUS
Sire, I... Gaius,
 
ARTHUR
if anyone knows where to find them, it is you.
 
GAIUS
Until yesterday I didn't know they still existed.
 
ARTHUR
But they do. As we know. So again, where can I find them?
 
GAIUS
Sire, I do not think it is wise for you...
 
ARTHUR
Gaius, do I look like a man to trifle with?
 
GAIUS
It is said that the Disir divines using an ancient pool. In turn, the pool is fed by the sacred spring at Caerlanrigh. The source of the spring is a grove of yew trees in the Black Mountains. The Grove of Brineved.
 
ARTHUR
Thank you. We leave within the hour.
 
GAIUS
Be careful, Merlin. I don't know what you'll encounter but the Old Ways will be at their strongest there. The Caerlanrigh is the very centre of their powers.


MAIN SQUARE

MORDRED
My lord, you are going to the Black Mountains?
 
ARTHUR
I am.
 
MODRED
Then I humbly petition to come with you.
 
ARTHUR
It is not for novices, Mordred.
 
MORDRED
Did I not serve you well?
 
ARTHUR
You did.
 
MORDRED
Then I will do again.
 
ARTHUR
It is no mere sorcerer this time, Mordred. Our mission is dangerous - in ways we cannot perhaps imagine.
 
MORDRED
Then you will need good men by your side. Let me serve, let me do my duty.
 
ARTHUR
Merlin! See to it he has everything he needs.


ARTHUR
Stay close. You know your positions.
 
MERLIN
My lord.
 
ARTHUR
What is it, Merlin?
 
MERLIN
This place is sacred.
 
ARTHUR
It's a cave, Merlin.
 
MERLIN
It's more than that.
 
ARTHUR
To me, one cave is the same as another.
 
MERLIN
You can't go armed into a sacred place!
 
ARTHUR
You want us to go in there unarmed? Of all the ridiculous things that you have ever said, Merlin - and there's been a few - that is the most ridiculous. By far.
I am Arthur Pendragon, King of Camelot. I come to know the meaning of this. The Grove of Brineved is in the kingdom of Camelot, subject to its laws, its decrees. Every man, however humble, however noble, has the right to be judged only by his peers. Yet YOU judge me in my absence. Explain yourselves.
 
1st DISIR
We do not judge.
 
2nd DISIR
We do not condemn.
 
3rd DISIR
We are but the internuncio of the one who presides over all.
 
1st DISIR
Who sees all.
 
2nd DISIR
Who knows all.
 
ALL DISIR
The Triple Goddess.
 
1st DISIR
And you, Arthur Pendragon, have angered her.
 
ARTHUR
How so? Have I not been an honourable king? Have I not made Camelota fair and just kingdom?
 
1st DISIR
So much is true.
 
2nd DISIR
But you have denied the Old Religion.
 
3rd DISIR
Dismissed its faith.
 
1st DISIR
Persecuted its followers.
 
2nd DISIR
Even unto slaughter.
 
ARTHUR
I fight against sorcery and superstition, that is all.
 
2nd DISIR
Embrace the ways of the Old Religion, Arthur. Or risk the ire of the Goddess.
 
3rd DISIR
The destruction of everything you most value.
 
2nd DISIR
The end of your reign.
 
3rd DISIR
The fall of Camelot itself.
 
ARTHUR
I refuse to be judged by those who do not know me.
 
2nd DISIR
You are known, Arthur. you have always been known.
 
1st DISIR
And now you come here, to the most sacred of the sacred, to the very heart of the Old Religion, with weapons drawn.
 
2nd DISIR
Trampling hallowed relics.
 
3rd DISIR
Treating our sacred space like you do your kingdom - with arrogance.
 
2nd DISIR
With conceit.
 
1st DISIR
With insolence.
 
GWAINE
Enough! You speak of the King!
 
ARTHUR
On me! Merlin! Pull back!
 
ARTHUR
How is he?
 
MERLIN
It is not a simple wound. Sorcery is involved.
 
ARTHUR
Is there anything you can do?
 
MERLIN
This is beyond my skill, sire. We need to get him back to Camelot.
 
ARTHUR
That is a long and arduous journey. What if he doesn't survive it?
 
MERLIN
Look, I fear that Gaius is the only one who can save him.
 
ARTHUR
Mount up. We ride for Camelot.
 
ARTHUR
He grows worse.
 
MERLIN
There has been little change.
 
ARTHUR
I should never have let him come.
 
MERLIN
He wanted to prove himself.
 
ARTHUR
And he has. He saved my life for the second time.


GAIUS’ CHAMBERS

GAIUS
Merlin is right. This is no ordinary wound. There is magic at play.
 
ARTHUR
Can you save him?
 
MERLIN
I am but a physician - there are limits to my knowledge.
 
ARTHUR
There must be something that can be done.
 
GAIUS
Perhaps. I shall do everything in my power, sire.
 
ARTHUR
Let me know the moment he improves... ..or...
 
GAIUS
I shall. Only your magic can save him, Merlin.
 
MERLIN
I cannot save the life of a man destined to kill Arthur.
 
GAIUS
If Mordred is destined to take the King's life, why has he just saved it?
 
MERLIN
I cannot ignore what the dragon said.
 
GAIUS
What happened to the young boy who came into my chambers just a few years ago?
 
MERLIN
He grew up. And he learned the meaning of duty.


ARTHUR’S CHAMBERS

GWEN
It is not your fault. He begged you to let him go - it was a kindness to allow him.
 
ARTHUR
It was foolishness. No.
 
GWEN
You told me once that Mordred had a strong sense of duty.
 
ARTHUR
That is true. You also told me he was impetuous. I should have listened to you.
 
GWEN
No, you shouldn't. If Mordred hadn't gone, it could be you in Gaius's chambers. Mordred did his duty
so you could do yours... To be king.

KNOCK ON DOOR
 
ARTHUR
Yes?
 
DOOR OPENS
 
GAIUS
Sire.
 
ARTHUR
Is there news? I thought that once we'd got him back to Camelot and your care...
 
GAIUS
The staff that caused his wound was forged using powerful sorcery.
 
ARTHUR
All the same...
 
GAIUS
And the poison that runs through his veins is beyond remedy.
 
ARTHUR
There must be... something you can do!
 
GAIUS
I'm afraid not. Only the Disir themselves have the power to counteract their own sorcery. I'm afraid we must prepare ourselves for the worst.
 
ARTHUR
I'll go to them.
 
GAIUS
Sire, I do not think that is...
 
ARTHUR
And I beg for mercy. Prepare the horses. We leave at once.


MERLIN
Why do you risk so much for one man?
 
ARTHUR
I would do the same for any knight.
 
MERLIN
Though, obviously, not me.
 
ARTHUR
Actually, I would. Servants are hard to come by - even bad ones.
 
MERLIN
I'm touched(!)
 
ARTHUR
Mordred saved my life. What greater debt could there be?
 
MERLIN
The debt to your people, to your destiny.
 
ARTHUR
You almost sound as if you care.
 
MERLIN
I do care. About who you are, Arthur, who you are destined to become.
 
ARTHUR
If it's fated. It doesn't matter what I do, it'll still happen.
 
MERLIN
There is a difference between fate and destiny.
 
ARTHUR
You think too much, Merlin. The situation is quite simple. A brother-in-arms saves my life. When he, in turn, is threatened, it is my duty to do all I can to save him.
I am not totally insensitive, Merlin. I can see that some people feel this is a sacred place. I am even prepared to admit that you are right sometimes.
Obviously, I will deny I ever saying that.
 
MERLIN
Obviously.


1st DISIR
Arthur Pendragon.
 
2nd DISIR
King of Camelot.
 
3rd DISIR
We have been expecting you.
 
ARTHUR
My men and I behaved with arrogance and stupidity. We dishonoured this place and insulted your faith. I humbly beg your forgiveness. One amongst us, Sir Mordred... may yet pay the ultimate price. I have come here to petition you for his life.
 
1st DISIR
Why should we help you?
 
ARTHUR
I ask not for myself, but for a young man whose only crime was to sacrifice himself for his king.
 
1st DISIR
The future holds much pain and suffering for you? Arthur Pendragon.
 
2nd DISIR
For you and your people.
 
3rd DISIR
If you wish to save all you hold dear.
 
2nd DISIR
If you wish to save your kingdom.
 
1st DISIR
Embrace the Old Religion.
 
2nd DISIR
Learn her ways.
 
3rd DISIR
Bow to the Goddess.
 
ARTHUR
You know I can't do that.
 
1st DISIR
Consider carefully. You have until dawn.

ARTHUR
How did you know this place was sacred?
 
MERLIN
That's obvious.
 
ARTHUR
Pretend it isn't.
 
MERLIN
Everything here... is so full of life. Every tree, every leaf... ..every insect. It's as if the world is vibrating. As if everything is much more than itself.
 
ARTHUR
You feel all that?
 
MERLIN
Don't you? What will you do?
 
ARTHUR
I don't know. My heart says do anything I can to save Mordred. But I have seen what misery unfettered sorcery brings. Before my father outlawed magic, Camelot was almost destroyed by sorcery. In my own time, Morgana has used it for nothing but evil. What would you do? In my place?
 
MERLIN
Me? I'm just a lackey, a maker of beds.
 
ARTHUR
Lackeys can be wise. It is not like you to be silent.
 
MERLIN
A kingdom's future is at stake.
 
ARTHUR
And a man's life.
 
MERLIN
You must protect Camelot. You must protect the world you have spent your life building - a just and fair kingdom for all.
 
ARTHUR
You would have me sacrifice a friend?
 
MERLIN
I would have you become the king you are destined to be.
 
ARTHUR
If I DO save Mordred, all my father's work will be for nothing. Sorcery will reign once more in Camelot. Is that what you'd want? Perhaps my father was wrong, perhaps the old ways aren't as evil as we thought. So what should we do? Accept magic? Or let Mordred die?
 
MERLIN
There can be no place for magic in Camelot.
 
BREATHY SIGH


1st DISIR
You have returned.
 
2nd DISIR
Is your decision made?
 
ARTHUR
It is. I cannot do as you ask.
 
2nd DISIR
Consider carefully, Arthur Pendragon.
 
3rd DISIR
This is your last chance to save all that is dear to you.
 
1st DISIR
It will not come again.
 
ARTHUR
I have seen too much... to allow sorcery again within Camelot.
 
3rd DISIR
You have made your decision.
 
2nd DISIR
Sealed your fate.
 
1st DISIR
And that of your kingdom.
 
ALL DISIR
Farewell... Arthur Pendragon.


MERLIN
You did the right thing.
 
ARTHUR
I condemned a man to death.
 
MERLIN
For the sake of Camelot.
 
ARTHUR SIGHS
 
ARTHUR
He saved my life, Merlin. More than once.
 
MERLIN
I know.

MERLIN
'How could I have been so stupid!?'
 
ARTHUR
You did what you thought best.
 
MERLIN
I assumed the best way to protect Arthur was to kill Mordred.
 
GAIUS
A perfectly natural assumption.
 
MERLIN
But all I did was make sure he lived. That WAS the Disir's judgement. Mordred's life is Arthur's punishment for rejecting magic.
 
GAIUS
You mustn't blame yourself.
 
MERLIN
But it is my fault. Mordred is alive and well. He's free to play his part in Arthur's death and there is nothing I can do to prevent it.
 
CHEERING OUTSIDE
 
MERLIN:
Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment